11 members of the same family from Brazil were left paralysed and are now fighting for their lives in hospital after unwittingly cooking up the world's deadliest fish for their supper.
The Souza family tucked in to the deadly fish they were given by a friend who had returned from a day's sea fishing near their home in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The pufferfish contains a toxin 1,200 times more lethal than cynanine - a drop of which can kill within 24 hours.But seconds after taking their first bite all eleven family members began to vomit, before losing the feeling in their face, arms and legs.
The poison paralyses the muscles while the victim remains fully conscious, eventually dying of asphyxiation when the venom reaches the diaphragm.
Most of the victims - which include four children aged three to five - were totally paralysed before they could reach a car that would rush them to hospital, according to reports.
There is enough of the powerful toxin tetrodoxin in one pufferfish to kill 30 adult humans, and there is no known antidote.